Friday, December 20, 2013

Seriousness & lightheartedness

I have something incredibly sad but important to discuss.

Today I found out that one of my favorite authors, Ned Vizzini, committed suicide. He was the author of 4 books but my personal favorite was "It's Kind of A Funny Story." Which is also a movie with Emma Roberts in it.
Anyways, I'm very upset right now. This man was only 32, he had a wife and son. I can't begin to imagine what they're feeling right now. Suicide is something that genuinely terrifies me. Throughout middle school, I had close friends that dealt with depression and self-harm and I had one friend that actually attempted suicide. I deal with depression myself a lot but I get to scared at the thought of someone I love and care about giving up their life. Feeling so helpless and sad and unwanted that they think death is the only option. Thats why I think you should always try and be kind to other people. You never truly know what anybody is going through at home, at school, or with themselves. If there is anyone reading this who knows someone going through a situation like this or are yourself please know that there are people out there willing to listen to you and help you. Friends, parents, teachers, any trusted adult, plus suicide hotlines are easy to find on google. Also in "It's Kind of a Funny Story" the main character actually checks himself into a hospital so if you feel the need to do that, please do. R.I.P to Ned Vizzini, Ellie and I miss you and hope you are happier wherever you may be.


Onto a different subject now! It's like my school news program we watch every morning. They present world news, which is always about people dieing or being mugged or captured or something awful, and then they put on a big smile and go "And now to sports!"
Today was the last day before winter break, which is my favorite day of school. People give you a crap ton of sugary food and teachers don't feel like doing anything. Plus a lot of kids wear cute christmas sweaters and give gifts to their friends. I find that adorable. One guy had a red sweater with a green tree made out of tinsel that lit up when you pressed the button. I received a few presents myself! Ryan gave me the book "The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight" which I'm already half way through and it's amazing. Tyler gave me Watermelon sourpatch and Twix which are my favorite candies of all time. Maggie got me "Bowling for Soup goes to the movies" and then apologized about how bad she is at gift giving. It's not that bad of a CD but it's pretty bad. I put it on my iPod regardless. Then Ellie is taking me thrift shopping for denim jackets that we're going to decorate Rookie Mag style.  It was a pretty perfect school day.

No comments:

Post a Comment